BlueHost Overall Review
5.00 of 5
With everything required for building a website packed properly, millions of the existing customers as witnesses, and the terrific reputation since 1996, BlueHost shared hosting service is highly recommended by our editors for individuals and small businesses who are looking for a reliable web hosting.
Unlike some web hosts that only accept payment from credit card and offer only 30 days money back guarantee, BlueHost supports the payment via both credit card & PayPal, and provides ANYTIME money back guarantee. In this case, you don't need to worry about that your privacy data may be leaked, your money may be stolen illegally, and your purchase may not be valued. Choosing BlueHost is a right choice to put your money and website in safe.
BlueHost Speed Review
4.50 of 5
According to the information we collected, almost 100% customers are highly satisfied with the hosting speed they get to run their websites, blogs and forums. In addition, we have been monitoring our forum hosted on the company's shared platform for months, and found that the server response time of this provider is always less than 350ms.
BlueHost Reliability Review
5.00 of 5
BlueHost commits a 99.9% hosting uptime in practice by using their customized Linux kernel and self-managed data centers. Specifically, the company customized Linux kernel by themselves for better running shared web hosting businesses than their peers. Their Linux platform allows to segregate CPU, Disk I/O and memory used by all clients on one server. So as a user, you don't need to worry about that your system resources may be stolen by some bad neighbors and your website data may be leaked in the shared web hosting environment.
In addition, BlueHost data centers utilize 4 separate physical fiber lines brought directly into building through two diverse entrances with access to all major IP/transit providers. Their internet connection is auto adaptable and verbose for any unpredictable interruptions.
Besides, the data centers and servers are under technicians' close monitoring 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Therefore, any sudden issue can be found and resolved immediately to protect the hosted forums from any unexpected interruptions. Moreover, our monitoring result shows that the average uptime of this company in these months is 99.99%.
BlueHost Control Panel Review
5.00 of 5
BlueHost offers the easy-to-use and time-tested cPanel control panel which comes with many excellent features in the user interface. The navigation menus are easy for any sorts of new users to get started; the icons are created for each feature that is needed; and the help documentation is easily accessible.
BlueHost has customized cPanel by integrating it with the billing account system, SimpleScripts, and CPU throttling feature. It's very convenient for users to manage all the things about web hosting with a single account and interface. The details about the 2 new features are as follows.
- SimpleScripts is an application installer similar to Fantastico, but it's better on UI design.
- CPU throttling is a feature allowing users to see the system resources used by their websites. It comes from the BlueHost Linux kernel customization, designed for protecting system resources of each customer.
BlueHost Feature Review
4.70 of 5
The 3 packages offered by BlueHost are packed with different features, but the same thing among them is that all of them are outstanding in terms of hosting features. Taking the Plus plan which costs $3.95/mo as an example, it includes unlimited hosting space, unlimited e-mail accounts, unlimited disk space and unlimited bandwidth for every customer, and there is no limit of data transfer.
For all the plans, the company caters free website builder with templates. In addition, it supports PHP, Perl, Python, MySQL and PostgreSQL scripting language, and provides shared SSL certificate, Secure Shell Access (SSH), FTP and FastCGI.
BlueHost Technical Support Review
5.00 of 5
BlueHost offers 24x7 US based technical support through toll-free phone call, email and live chat. What's more, technicians have worked out many in-depth articles, user guides and video tutorials with a lot information about hosting. Detailed information about BlueHost technical support is as below.
- Toll-free phone call support. BlueHost offers toll-free phone support backed by hundreds of support staffs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Therefore, whenever coming across any kind of hosting issues, US customers are able to dial the number 1-888-401-4678 to get instant assistance.
- Live chat support. This company allows customers to contact the support team via live chat, which is the easiest way for customers to get help from technicians directly. You just need to click the live chat button, choose what kind of issue you are facing, enter your name and your domain, and write down your problem in detail. BlueHost guarantees that the response time is less than 30 seconds.
- Ticket and email support. When meeting issues, you also can contact the support team by sending emails. Besides, you are able to open a customer support ticket, fill in a form and then just wait for the reply from the support staffs.
- Knowledgebase support. In the knowledgebase, there are a large amount of in-depth articles with useful information about hosting, from which you are able to find the answers to most frequently asked questions. Browsing the knowledgebase is the fastest way to solve common issues that are experienced by many webmasters.
- Video tutorials. BlueHost offers more than 40 detailed video tutorials on a wide range of topics, among which there are many introducing the popular CMS and hosting services. By watching the videos, beginners are able to learn how to manage email accounts, create an FTP account, install WordPress, and so on.
- User forum. BlueHost user forum is the best place for customers to learn from other customers and exchange their website operation experience.
BlueHost Review on Money Back Guarantee
4.60 of 5
BlueHost claims anytime money back guarantee, but you should know that it's impossible to get all your money back at any time, which is actually impossible for all the web hosting providers in the market. Generally, the money back guarantee of BlueHost only works for the shared web hosting service, but not includes the purchase of SSL certificates, site backup service, SEO service, and any other additional paid service you picked in the checkout. Because BlueHost has to pay their partners for these services when you sign up.
In addition, BlueHost cancellation policy consists of 3 critical periods.
- Cancellation with the first 3 days: you can get all the money you paid for BlueHost shared web hosting service except for the additional services.
- Cancellation before 30 days: you will be charged $11.95 for the free domain name with the hosting plan, but you will remain the full ownership and control over the domain for a year. You can choose to host the domain name with BlueHost or transfer it elsewhere.
- Cancellation after 30 days: you will get a pro-rated refund for the unused part of your hosting service. Of course, the fee for the free domain mentioned above is excluded.
BlueHost Review for Hosting Drupal & Joomla
5.00 of 5
BlueHost has been a shared hosting provider recommended by Drupal.org since 2008 for their 100% Drupal hosting compatibility, fast and reliable hosting, responsive technical support and affordable price. By working closely with the Drupal community, BlueHost keeps their services up-to-date for the latest Drupal features including hardware, PHP version, MySQL version and the required Apache modules. Meanwhile, BlueHost donates a part of their revenue to Drupal.org in exchange for the Drupal expert support and training.
In the meantime, the company treats Joomla in the same as Drupal because it has been devoted to the large open source community. As Joomla is written in PHP running based on MySQL database, BlueHost actually far exceeds the minimum requirement on running Joomla. for example, FastCGI is offered to run Joomla fast by utilizing web server cache. Besides, many people think installing Joomla is a complicated task that needs to create MySQL database, configure PHP.ini for optimization, and configure Joomla itself, but SimpleScripts eliminates all the troubles by doing them automatically.
BlueHost Review for Hosting phpBB
4.80 of 5
The minimal requirements of running phpBB are PHP 4.3.3+, MySQL 3.23, PostgreSQL 7.x. According to the information BlueHost publishes at their official website, BlueHost offers PHP 5, MySQL 5, and PostgreSQL 9. Therefore, the shared hosting service is 100% compatible with this software. What's more, PHP runs as suPHP to increase the security of hosted forums.
phpBB installation can be a tough thing. But again, BlueHost has prepared SimpleScripts installer to help people install this software with a few clicks within 1 minute, which saves clients a lot of trouble, especially for newbies.
BlueHost Review for Ruby on Rails Hosting
5.00 of 5
BlueHost makes their Ruby on Rails hosting different from others by the following 4 unique features.
- BlueHost sets up for Rails by utilizing Phusion Passenger aka mod_rails which is a module for Apache 2 server for managing the backend automatically. The mod_rails also allows Ruby on Rails web applications to occupy approximately 30% less memory for the maximum performance, and protects Apache 2 server from crashing even in case of Ruby on Rails application crashing.
- BlueHost supports the latest version of Rails based on the newest Ruby. Meanwhile, as they have thousands of servers, actually almost major older versions of ruby and rails are supported. If your website depends on an older version, you can comment on the order or contact with their technical support so that they can put you onto the appropriate server.
- BlueHost supports unlimited MySQL and PostgreSQL databases. They are most recommended databases on running websites developed by Ruby on Rails.
- BlueHost allows secure shell (SSH) access that the experienced users can remotely deploy and manage their ruby on rails websites.